Saturday, September 09, 2006

All on a Saturday morning

Tis a clear/cloudy/rainy/windy/sunny/cold spring day - which means the view from my window changes every few minutes, and the fate of the washing is anyone's guess.
J went to karate, and S tagged along, so 'twas just V and I for an hour & a half. Did I use this time for good (ie study)? No I did not! I read blogs, I clicked on links, I forced myself to get dressed before 10am...then Vwoke up, and we hung out the aforementioned washing and attended to her various personal needs. After everyone else came home there was a short burst of worthy domestic activity, then more blog-reading. And Lo! There was punishment for my sins... a meme that tags all who stumble across it - This Means You! If you Blog, you must Meme this:

1. Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 123. Find the fifth sentence.Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.

559 Hans Berger of Germany invented the electroencepahalograph (or EEG) in 1920 to record brain activity. This device is a system of electrodes that are placed on the head to read electrical activity.
560 The iron lung was an invention by Phillip Drinker and Louis Agassiz Shaw in 1927.

This is taken from 1001 Cool Inventions by Ben Ripley, illustrated by Glen Singleton. I bought it for my son yesterday at Angus & Robertson, who loves all books and adores these facts-in-bites kinds of things!

2.stretch your left arm out as far as you can...what do you touch first?

The dining chair that is currently supporting the very ordinary calico shopping bag inside which are the first 50-some rows of my very first Clappy! Rental house: the dining table is the only place to sit and still be able to connect the modem cables to my beeyootiful MacBook Pro.

3. what was the last thing you watched on tv?

Um, not yesterday… not Thursday… Wednesday? Nope, nor Tuesday…checking tv guide…Monday night!! 9.35 – Enough Rope with Andrew Denton, a tribute night where they repeated his interviews with Steve Irwin and Don Cripps, both of whom loomed large in different spheres of Australian public life.

4. without looking, what time is it?

Around midday

5. what is the actual time?

11.57am

6. with the exception of the computer, what can you hear?

The washing machine spin cycle, the kids sharing/fighting over the other computer, hubby reversing out of the driveway to go get a paper, clocks ticking out of synch, cars on the highway.

7. when did you last step outside?

An hour and a half-ago, to hang out yesterday’s washing.

8. what are you wearing?

Trakkydacks, thick red Explorer socks, clashing pink&black slippers my Mum knitted for me, lavender-grey longsleeve v-neck tshirt, nave, green yellow and red striped Woollaby jumper – do reading glasses count?

9. when did you last laugh?

10 minutes ago, when I clicked on this blog and got tagged!

10. seen something weird lately?

I have 3 small children – I see, hear, smell, touch and taste something weird on a half-hourly basis :}

11. what did you dream last night?

No idea – probably something to do with kids, uni work or knitting.

12. what's on the walls of the room you're in?

Weird built-in bookshelves adorned with books, mags, toys, jugs and miscellaneous bits of who-knows-what, afore-mentioned 2 clocks, 2 tilted framed prints of herbs faded to n oddly attractive teal colour, 3 paintings from my daughter’s playgroups.

14. what was the last film you saw?

Under the Tuscan Sun, on tv – I knitted and exchanged text messages with my Mum about how chick-flicky it was. In a movie theatre? Maybe Bride and Prejudice several years ago

15.do you like to dance?

Yes! Preferably boogie in the kitchen, but also ballroom dancing (not that I’ve taken that for years and years).

16. would you ever consider living abroad?

YES – have done several times (it counts even when you are a toddler and have no say in it at all), including a year on exchange in Tokyo (Hi Mayu!). Just have to convince my husband that passports are A Good Thing – he thinks they lead to spending money – no idea where he heard that from!

17. if you became a multi-millionaire overnight what would you buy first?

I agree with Heather – a celebratory meal first, then a house – it would certainly be an improvement on the budget we are using now! After that, don’t know…invest and give to charity.

18.tell me something about you that I don't know.
I speak French and Japanese, and if I concentrate, I can even do it quite well!

19. what would you change about the world?
Remove the ‘Us vs Them’ mentality; mandate the use of sustainable energy resources; give everyone a vege patch…

Your Turn!